Mothers make our lives possible and blissful, and any day of the year is a great opportunity to celebrate the shared memories that bound us together. Here’s an idea for a retro-inspired gift box that you can put together for her in minutes.
You will need
- A box to store various small items and gifts
- Shredded wood excelsior, which we’ll use as a gift box filler
- Inkjet sticker paper to print the labels. Alternatively, you could glue regular cardstock onto each object.
- Fresh flowers. Make sure you have different colors and leaves (in addition to flowers) to work with.
- Assorted artisanal sweets like nougats and cinnamon rolls
- Chocolate bars. I went for Toblerone, a classic Swiss chocolate bar with the advantage of having a box with three flat surfaces. Because we will decorate each of these items, having flat areas will make adding labels much easier.
- A small scented candle of your choice. I chose a hand poured french vanilla and coconut candle.
- Tea bags
- A perfume or scent of your choice to spray the gift box filler.
- Small wine or champagne bottles. I used Sutter Home’s White Zinfandel 4-Pack
- Stamps, stickers, or confetti to decorate the box (optional)
- Print out customized labels for:
- The chocolate bar
- The personal wine bottle
- The candle
- A tag to seal the box
- Cut the labels and paste them onto each object.
- I like to spray some perfume or home scent spray on the gift box filler (wood excelsior, in this case) to add a special aroma when the recipient opens the box. This is not necessary but adds a unique touch to the experience of opening your gift box.
- Assemble the box as follows:
- Wood filler
- Larger objects like the candle, wine bottle, and cinnamon roll. Adding these first will help you identify spaces for the rest of the tiny objects more easily.
- Smaller items like tea bags, chocolate bars, and nougats
- Fresh flowers
- Seal the box with the tag you printed